OTT video streaming is hot and will only get hotter in the future. After the arrival of Netflix, the OTT video platforms have sprung up like mushrooms. In this blog we give you 7 insights about OTT video streaming.
What does OTT mean?
With the arrival of Netflix, OTT has become a widely used and popular term in the media industry. OTT stands for Over The Top. The term indicates that no exclusive technical or commercial party is required for the distribution of audio or video content. Where you used to need a cable company or telecom company to start a video channel, nowadays you can set it up completely yourself.
Do you still need a cable with OTT?
To start an OTT video platform or OTT TV service, you no longer need “old-fashioned” cable. In any case, no analog cable that distributes your videos to a set top box or TV device in the living room. OTT video services distribute videos entirely over the internet. It is therefore important that the quality of the internet connection is high. Otherwise, there is a chance that your videos will not be shown on the screen of the end user.
Which revenue models can you apply?
With OTT video streaming you can set up different revenue models.
- The most famous is SVOD (subscription-based video on demand). With SVOD you sell online subscriptions to users.
- Another well-known is TVOD (transactional based video on demand). With TVOD, the user pays an amount to view a video.
- Then you have EST (electronic sell through). With EST, the user pays an amount for a video and always has access to the video.
- Another option is AVOD (advertisement based video on demand). With AVOD you show ads in the videos.
- You can also think about displaying branded content. Many popular vloggers use this form.
How do you set up an OTT video streaming platform?
Depending on your goals and wishes you can start an OTT video streaming service in different ways. For example, you can use popular video platforms such as YouTube and Vimeo to host and stream your videos. But you can also develop a streaming video website yourself or have it developed.
Which devices can you expand to?
You can now launch an OTT video channel on different devices or platforms. Every device or platform has certain points of attention. The 5 most famous devices on which you can offer your video service are:
- Desktop computers (responsive website)
- Mobile phones (mobile website or apps)
- Smart TV (smart TV apps)
- Google Chromecast (casting apps)
- Set top box (set top box apps)
What are the benefits?
Starting your own OTT video streaming platform gives you 2 important benefits:
- Firstly, you have control over your earnings model. You are no longer dependent on the conditions of a cable operator or telecom company.
- Secondly, you get a lot of knowledge about your target group. For example, when visitors create an account, you have information such as e-mail addresses, gender, age and mobile phone numbers.
For whom is OTT video streaming interesting?
OTT video streaming is actually interesting for anyone who wants to start or expand a business with video content. Examples of types of companies or markets that use OTT video streaming are:
- Film distributors